Old October 25th 04, 07:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Zasgar Zasgar is offline

Default Wheelchair sighting

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Riding the Northern Line southbound, I was startled when a lady in a
wheelchair boarded the train at Goodge Street, accompanied by a man who,
I presume, had bumped the chair down the steps. They got off, as I did,
at Embankment. I last saw them waiting at the bottom of the escalator
for the crowd to thin before, presumably, ascending it.

So perhaps "accessible" is less of an issue than we thought (which still
doesn't justify ignoring it without good cause).

Hmm. Whilst i'm not siding with the nutter, i don't think that the
operation you observed is a good solution for wheelchairs on the
underground: firstly because i imagine being bumped up and down stairs is
rather uncomfortable, and secondly because it requires the wheelchair
rider to have a heavily-built travelling companion.

Now, if LU could supply staff at the stations to do the hefting (not
dedicated staff - i'm thinking that normal platform staff could do it),
that would be much better. Still, not ideal.

Or you could encourage people to invest in modern wheelchairs. Have a look
at this thing http://www.independencenow-europe.co...bot/index.html