Old October 25th 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Bus lane enforcement

Brimstone wrote:
Ian Tindale wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

I think it is demonstrably the case that bus ridership has increased,
that running costs due to congestion have fallen and that the bus
companies are making big profits from running in London. How much of
that can be directly lined to bus lane enforcement is hard to say but
more and better bus lanes do help the efficacy of the bus network.

Also, given that we've had congestion charging in place for a while
now, and that bus fares are going up next year, why is this? I'd have
thought the money accumulated from the congestion charge would've
meant that fares can become lower.

It was my understanding that funds from the congestion charge would be used
to provide new buses and other equipment and facilities rather than to keep
fares low. Is this understanding correct?

Yes - demonstrated by the fact that higher frequencies and new routes
were introduced for central London as part of the congestion charging
package. Just in my corner of London we had the 360, 414 and N74 (I
can't remember whether the N345 was introduced as part of congestion
charging).

However, I don't think the revenues from the charge were ever intended
to pay completely for the improvements to buses, and since they have
made less money than estimated, they have paid for a smaller proportion
of the improvements.

It is worth noting that some bus fares have merely returned to 2000
levels, like the One Day Bus Pass.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7