Old August 2nd 03, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Malthouse Matthew Malthouse is offline

Default Pavement cycling

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:32:32 GMT Martin Underwood wrote:
}
} In terms of cycling on pavements, I can't help thinking that on a quiet
} pavement on a fast road with no pedestrians around, the pavement is the best
} place for a cyclist to be - he's less of a hazard to drivers who may be
} doing three times his speed. On a crowded city street, it's a differnt
} matter - few pedestrians (except me) look out for other pedestrians, never
} mind cyclists - and cars and cyclists are likely to be going at much more
} similar speeds so cyclists are less of a hazard to drivers.

Unfortunately the practical approach takes a degree of thought that some
seem unwilling to invest in the problem. Riding on the pavement where
sensible too easily translates into riding on the pavement anywhere.
The kids do it around here in a quiet residential area where there is
no reason to and considerable danger to pedestrians on narrow pavements.
Not just the kids either, one local takes his daughter to school riding
on the cross-bar of his bike. Using the pavements and the footpath that
affords the quickest route because with his daughter on board is "isn't
safe" to use those aforementioned quiet streets. Sheesh...

Occasionally the reverse might apply. Along Temple Mill Lane E15
there's a shared pavement and cycle lane that's so thoroughly covered in
grit and dust that it is far safer to join the vehicles on the road than
risk using it.

[Rose-tinted spectacles time] When I were a kid... Well, seriously when
I was at Junior school a police officer came into the school for one
day every term to put us cyclists through our paces, make sure we knew
the rules and how to ride safely. I wonder if anything like that goes
on these days becasue I see very little evidence of it on the roads.

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/