Old October 25th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
titans titans is offline

Default How many people could this station turn around...?

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
news:d5a9a4b5447d3523444bdb3aee87db78.125090@mygat e.mailgate.org...
...and how was it done? The "spur" sidings between the platforms
(points either end) seem important:

http://www.wymann.info/EpsomDowns/EpsomDowns.html
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...s/index4.shtml

I was expecting an angry reaction to the following but in the absence of
any anger I admit it is rather a good point. In the 1900's there were no
houses only the college for miles around Epsom Downs Station. Does the
1 platform station nowadays handle more annually than the 9 platform
station? What is a Derby crowd - 300,000?

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
news:1f4631c3ec204b25de2d961141fa82fa.125090@mygat e.mailgate.org
"titans" wrote in message

How does a reduction in platforms correlate to declining passenger

numbers?

Is this a serious question or are you being funny?

More examining the logic behind the original question. As modern trains

have greater carrying capacity than the older types. More frequent services
and quicker turn round times. I fail to see that a reduction in platform
capacity is indicative of declining passenger numbers.Even a shorter
platforms could be misleading as modern passenger trains no longer need to
cater for mail and parcels and again services are more frequent.