Old October 28th 04, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Crossing of the Victoria and Piccadilly lines north of Finsbury Park

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Richard J. wrote:

Paul Terry wrote:
In message
,
Tom Anderson writes

On a more general note, how can one go about getting accurate
information about the routes of underground railways? Are there
some sort of official maps somewhere?

There is the map at the end of ...

http://www.londontransport.co.uk/tfl.../marketone.pdf

... it is not wonderfully detailed, but it does show that crossing
point south of Green Lanes.

But is that just luck? The map is wrong in other areas, for
example the Jubilee Line between Baker Street and Bond Street, or
DLR at Bank.

I haven't yet found a fully accurate map.

But how do you know whether a map is accurate? That you can
evaluate them implies that you have some sort of authoritative
source of knowledge about the routes - which is what i'm after!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't know enough to be able to say that
any map is accurate. But I do know enough to show that some maps (well,
all that I have seen, actually) are inaccurate. In the case of DLR Bank
and the Piccadilly east of South Ken, simple observation shows that the
map is not accurate. The Jubilee route "south" of Baker Street actually
goes via Regent's Park; I know because there's a Jubilee Line
ventilation shaft in the gardens north of Regent's Park station. Having
said that, I think the map is nevertheless one of the best I've seen.
--
Richard J.