Old August 3rd 03, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jeff Mowatt Jeff Mowatt is offline

Default Airport chaos - It won't change

5am Sunday T2 Heathrow. Having arrived 2 hours before flight, spent the next
hour and a half waiting to check departing friends in until the airline
group (Star Alliance) pushed the panic button. Definitely a life-shortening
experience and not to be recomended more than once a year.

Why do they do this and why do we keep accepting it? We hear a lot of BS
about extra security and vigilance but the plain truth is the "Check in at
any desk" strategy is a disaster. It seemed to work a lot better when
flights were assigned to specific desks. BAA can't remain blamless either,
it's their premises and they do nothing to keep the queues ordered.

It's very difficult to understand the mentality of those in the air
business. Surely they realise that if passengers are offered a civilised
alternative, they'll take it? Personally I think next time I'm going
anywhere in Europe I'll do it by train or even by bus.

Getting to and from the airport has to be a significant factor too, many
locations are poorly served by transport links and a cab each way can cost
more than the flight, making the enthusiasm for cheap flights a moot point.

The fiasco with British Airways a couple of weeks ago ought to have
sharpened their wits a little, but I doubt it

Jeff Mowatt