Old October 29th 04, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Trivia: Hook Underpass (Ace of Spades)

Troy Steadman wrote:
"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
om...
The Hook Underpass was the first of its type in the country,
there is even a model of it in the Science Museum, but one
innovative feature it had when first built didn't catch on and
was quickly removed.

Clue: it was noisy.

The title of the thread makes me suspect that Lemmy was installed
in the tunnel somewhere, but that doesn't sound right.

Jonn

It isn't a tunnel, it's a roundabout on top of the A3 in a cutting,
nowadays a very ordinary intersection but in it's time quite
something. As was the "Ace of Spades" roadhouse on the old
roundabout which had not only a swimming pool but also an airfield.

The "innovative feature" was not Lemmy, but you are in the right
order of noisitude, two *very* noisy things one on either side of
the road.

An excessive speed warning hooter? Though I'm not sure there was any
speed limit on the Kingston By-Pass in those days.
--
Richard J.