Old October 30th 04, 12:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default London v Paris

"Morton":
2. Signs on the Metro are much inferior to the Underground. I've
been in London for 4 years now so perhaps am used to the
Underground but I felt the Metro's signage was really confusing
and incomplete.

Richard J.:
I'm used to both systems, and don't have a problem with the Métro signs.
The main difference is the use of (to give a Piccadilly line example)
"Uxbridge/Heathrow" and "Cockfosters" instead of "westbound" and
"eastbound". In what way did you feel the signage was incomplete?

At a number of interchange stations where the signs are relatively
old, they don't show the line number. As if you got off at Green
Park, meaning to change to the Jubilee Line, and only saw signs for
"Cockfosters", "Uxbridge/Heathrow", "Stratford", and "Stanmore". Now
obviously you have to know which one of those is right for the train
you want, but if you're thinking "first I find the Jubilee Line, and
then I have to remember which endpoint my westbound train goes to",
then it's a bit disconcerting.

There is also the matter of some of the station names being so long
and similar that they get abbreviated on signs, in ways that may not
be obvious to foreigners. I don't remember any real examples offhand,
but it wouldn't surprise me to see "Montreuil" used instead of "Mairie
de Montreuil" to mean eastbound on line 9, say. One might easily think
that was a different station, maybe on a different line; and an
English-speaker might also think that "Mairie" was the important word,
since it comes first, and would never be omitted in abbreviating.

Of course I don't know if Morton had either of these points in mind.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We don't use clubs; they weren't invented here.