Old October 30th 04, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Marratxi Marratxi is offline

Default London v Paris

"Morton" wrote in message
Just come back from Paris for a couple of days and had my first metro
experience. A few comments:

A lot snipped

4. I did like the cross-city trains (RER) in Paris. Double-decker trains
were impressive. I do hope that cross-rail does this.

The RER double-deckers are good for shifting more people but they are a
bu**er to get on and off. The vestibules tend to get extremely crowded with
people who don't want to go up or down the stairs to the seating areas.
I have lived in the London area all my life and never been mugged or been
subjected to a pickpocket on the London Underground network. On my very
first visit to Paris, however, I was the subject of a two-man pickpocket
attempt and I understand that pickpocketing has been a serious problem on
the Metro.
The complexity of the system, particularly the parts which the passenger
doesn't normally see, is fascinating and I would love to have some videos of
cabrides showing all the hidden sidings, etc.
Cheerz,
Baz