Old August 3rd 03, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jeff Mowatt Jeff Mowatt is offline

Default Pavement cycling

I wonder if anyone here was the "gentleman" aged about 50 who blythely
sailed through a group including 3 young children and a pregant woman who'd
waited patienty at the pedestrian crossing on Westminster Bridge on Saturday
morning? I won't repeat here what I expressed at the time, only remind you
that you are old enough to know better. Why did you look so offended I
wonder?

Getting metaphorically, back in the saddle and also on my soapbox, there's
something else the cyclist has to endure and the way in which many
motorcyclists behave. We often occupy the same roadspace and meeting one
head on in a "game of chicken" with them on the wrong side of the road is a
frequent experience while attempting a right turn or positioning for one at
traffic lights.

More than once I've been forced out of my saddle by those that insist on
using designated cycle routes and can't wait for legitmate users to go
through the barriers provided specifically for our use. I won't condone
pavement cycling but I can understand why so many are put off using the
roads.

In many cases these barriers are vandalised such that the passage of
motorcycles, specifically scooters, is more easily facilitated. I've been
trying to persuade Wandsworth Council to repair one in front of a local
school for the past 18 months to no avail. I've even seen one of their
traffic wardens in full uniforrn abusing this particular barrier at the time
when many children cycle to school. The Council don't see it as an issue,
obviously.

Jeff Mowatt