Old October 30th 04, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default London v Paris

Clive Page wrote:
In article ,
Morton writes
I may be wrong but I think London Underground is extremely fool
proof. As long as people can distinguish North from South, East
from West. LUL make the signage 'really ****ing obvious'.

I don't entirely agree, especially with the Circle Line. Not long
ago I arrived at Liverpool St somewhat tired, and getting down to
the Circle Line saw that the directions were marked as "Eastbound"
and "Westbound" and was momentarily confused. Most tube maps show
Liverpool St as the extreme eastern end, with the line running
north-south, so how is the poor foreigner to work out which way is
clockwise and which anti-clockwise? If only they used those terms
all every Circle Line station all would be much clearer.

Similarly at High Street Kensington, where the line runs north-south,
but station announcements sometimes refer to a "westbound Circle Line
train", meaning (I think) one that is going south and then east. The
directions are based on the District Line trains which share the same
tracks but go south, then west.

--
Richard J.