Old October 31st 04, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Jon Senior Jon Senior is offline

Default Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Clive Coleman opined the following...
O.K. This argument has gone far enough, and to be honest it's all
about point scoring and no facts are allowed to intervene. If a
cyclist has to brake hard at any obstruction be it traffic lights, road
works what ever he is prepared and it's his own fault if he's not. A
bus driver on the other hand has to take into account maybe up to 70
other persons who are not expecting sudden braking, especially whilst on
their feet walking for the door. If you are a cyclist with half a
brain then you would know why I would hit you rather that injure my load
who may be children or O.A.P.s. Give it a seconds thought, or more
accurately take a PCV test then come back and argue your case if you
think you still have one.

I presume from your comments that you have taken a PCV test. As you
obviously aware, the safety of your passengers is paramount. Thus, when
approaching an obstruction (Potential or actual) which your higher
driving position would probably allow you to see before a normal driver,
you should already be taking action to avoid it.

When I took my (car) test I was told that you should slow (or certainly
stop accellerating) on approach to a green light on the grounds that it
might change. A light going red should never take you by surprise.

If you do not believe this to be the case, and are a "qualified" bus
driver, I would suggest re-reading the highway code and then asking to
resit your test. You may find it enlightening!

Jon