Old October 31st 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default Trivia: Hook Underpass (Ace of Spades)

Stuart wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 31 Oct 2004:

CIG_BIG_CIG wrote:

Has the Hook underpass always had the layout it has now where lane 1
diverges off from the rest of the road? Also, has it always had the
slip roads to/from the A3 on the London side only? i.e. have you
always had to drive from Hook to Esher to go towards Pompey if you
were not already on the A3?

No, originally the A3 carried on along what is now the A309 and the
Hook Underpass was just a normal roundabout with slip roads on to the
A3 at both ends.

When I was little, one of our landmarks en route was the "Scilly Isles"
roundabout - as a very small girl, I had absolutely no idea where we
were when we were there, if that makes sense. So, last year, we dropped
a friend off in Hampton, and took the A309 back to the A3. I was
drowsing after a long day out - and snapped awake in a hurry when we got
to that roundabout! I still can't quite see how that was once on the
A3, but talk about reviving long-lost memories.....!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/