Old October 31st 04, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Troy Steadman Troy Steadman is offline

Default Trivia: Hook Underpass (Ace of Spades)

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
news:fdc7a8b752b707a4555becb9c9f5bbf9.125090@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"Paul Terry" wrote in message

Ah! Was it road heating to stop ice formation?

Yes indeedy powered by two generators one either side of the road.

Ah! So it wasn't the device itself (the road heating) that was noisy. It was
merely the means of powering it. I was going to suggest something along
these lines but I thought "that's not noisy". If they'd powered it from the
National Grid then it would have been silent.

If it had been on the National Grid it wouldn't have been such a
bleedin' stupid idea. Presumably the generators were behind doors at the
roadside (I can't be bothered to drive the massive round journey to have
a quick glimpse), in which case whoever had the job of switching them on
would have to park in the underpass twice.

Or is there a pedestrian access?

(My info so far is from "Hook Remembered" and "Hook Remembered Again" by
Mark Davison).