Old October 31st 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Usenet Usenet is offline

Default London v Paris

In message ,
Morton writes
Just come back from Paris for a couple of days and had my first metro
experience. A few comments:

1. The Metro trains are better than London Underground. All I saw were wider
(holding more people) and much cleaner. Some trains had a rather quaint
flick-switch opener to activate the door opening rather than all
automatically opening.

You didn't mention the upholstery - spartan, hose-down plastic covers.
I've always liked the door-openers, they're so . . . well, French. Like
a 2CV.

2. Signs on the Metro are much inferior to the Underground. I've been in
London for 4 years now so perhaps am used to the Underground but I felt the
Metro's signage was really confusing and incomplete.

I've never had a problem on the Metro, but then I'm going slower and
being more attentive. After thirty years, there's still bits of the Tube
that confuse me i.e. finding the right platform at Baker Street; getting
the right direction Jubilee train at Westminster; remembering which exit
to use at Oxford Street to avoid the crush.

5. Surprisingly the Underground is cleaner and brighter than the Metro.
While Paris is spotless compared to London, I thought the Metro was drab,
uninspiring and could do with a good clean.

. . . and smells of ****, while the Tube just smells of centuries-old
air.

And don't forget the entertainment. I heard my first carriage-wide
begging announcement on the Metro in the 70's, years before it started
on the Tube.

--
Martin @ Strawberry Hill