Old November 1st 04, 06:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london
CIG_BIG_CIG CIG_BIG_CIG is offline

Default 83 TS photos

"David Splett" wrote in message ...
"RayB" wrote in message
What will happen to the 83 stock? Will someone try and save a car
or two as a reminder(!) or will it go for scrap?

I think LU would rather like the trains to disappear into thin air; they
were never popular - the whole saga is a bit of a disaster from beginning to
end, and I doubt many people want to be reminded of it.

One car is preserved at the LT Museum - 3734, which I believe was the final
car to be delivered back in the 1980s. There are a couple of other cars with
medium-term futures - one at Acton Works used for ERU training, and one at
the Design Research Establishment at Garston (near Watford), used for
climatic testing. Unless anyone knows anything different, all the remaining
cars are destined for scrapping.

The ones in South Harrow sidings have been scrapped to all intents and
purposes by the locals. Some were removed in 2002/3 but some remain
but in very poor condition, I would surprised if they would even move
they must surely be stuck to the rails!!

Uxbridge units when seen in 2002 were in good condition, possible
candidates for anyone wanting to preserve.

As for those at Neasden (if any remain) I dont know about their
condition but I gather the ones at Cockfosters although not having
been 'cut in' for some time appear to be ok.

I dont know if there are any other examples left apart from Acton and
Watford mentioned above.

Intrigued by the one at Garston though!! And whats ERU training?