Old August 3rd 03, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stevie Stevie is offline

Default Temple Bar

John Rowland wrote:

I'm sure the phrases "Paternoster Square" and "a bit of character" in the
same sentence will sound okay in time!

I don't understand why they couldn't put it back between the Strand and
Fleet Street. There were buildings demolished there recently, and I assumed
that they were making room for it, but it would appear not. Failing that, I
think they should have put it somewhere else on the boundary between the
City of London and the City of Westminster, perhaps on the Embankment.
Putting it in Paternoster Square seems pointless, because it won't be the
gate between anything, and it will be outclassed by Wren's better known work
anyway.

Remember - this is the new Paternoster Square, which is much more
sympathic towards it's far more grand neighbour St Pauls than that 60's
nightmare.

A piccie of where Temple Bar is being moved to is he

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL85/9...1/29012091.jpg

Behind it, you can see the north tower of St Pauls on the West Front
(I'm sure it's probably got some specific name but I don't know it). The
red brick building in on the left is the original chapterhouse (I
think), the cream coloured building on the right is a new building
that's part of the new Paternoster Sq development.

So, it's not just being stuck in the middle of the square - it will be
used as the main gateway to and from it (the square itself also has a
big column on the centre with some golden fire bolt thing on the top).