Old November 1st 04, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default Official defacement?

Richard J. wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 31 Oct 2004:

Makes me want to go armed with big stickers reading "St Giles'
Circus" and correct the name of the station once and for all!

I didn't know there was more than one saint called Gile.

Er - hello? The OP was entirely correct in his usage of the apostrophe
there - if you have a name ending with "S", and wish to denote something
belonging to the bearer of that name, the apostrophe goes after it.
James' shoes, Thomas' gloves..... Mind you, it is arguable that, as the
Circus doesn't actually belong to St Giles, he doesn't need an
apostrophe.....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/