Old November 1st 04, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default Official defacement?

Richard J. wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 1 Nov 2004:

Mrs Redboots wrote:

Er - hello? The OP was entirely correct in his usage of the
apostrophe there - if you have a name ending with "S", and wish to
denote something belonging to the bearer of that name, the
apostrophe goes after it. James' shoes, Thomas' gloves.....

Er, no. James's, Thomas's. Go and read Eats, Shoots & Leaves again.

That usage is accepted nowadays, but it is not what I was taught 45
years ago! Lynne Truss is, I think, younger than I am.

Mind you, it is arguable that, as the Circus doesn't actually
belong to St Giles, he doesn't need an apostrophe.....

... which I think is the official view also. (St Giles High Street is
certainly spelt that way. Not sure about the Circus, which doesn't seem
to have an official existence.)

It's the bit round Centrepoint, isn't it?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/