Old November 1st 04, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default Trivia: Hook Underpass (Ace of Spades)

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Stuart wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 31 Oct 2004:

What is HRA and what is 5/-??

I don't know HRA, but 5/- is our old currency, what used to be called
"five shillings". Now 25p, but in those days it was a lot of money!
Maybe the equivalent of £50 or thereabouts.

Back in the 1950s, 5/- was about 25% above the hourly rate for labourers, so
today's equivalent would be the minimum wage of £4.90 per hour+25%, say
£6.12. That's a factor of about 24 to 1.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm