Old August 3rd 03, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Dave is offline

Default Pavement cycling

Robin May writes
I have no objection to the idea that cycling on the pavement is not
always ok. I do however object to the idea that it is at all times and
in all places a naughty and evil thing to do, particularly as the
people promoting this view seem to think this as a matter of principle
rather than based on any good reasoning. I don't see how taking offence
at the mere sight of a person cycling on the pavement, regardless of
whether it poses any threat to anyone, is helpful.

The problem is that your (hypothetical) assessment of whether it is safe
may differ to my (hypothetical) assessment. Without an external set of
rules to guide, there will always be a disagreement between pedestrians
and cyclists who cycle on pavements.

--
Dave