Old November 1st 04, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default London v Paris

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:44:34 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:14:46 -0000,
(Mark Brader) wrote:

On the other hand, I learned the German word for "baggage" from the
doorways of Piccadilly Line trains.

Regional Railways and (if I recall rightly) NSE standardised on
English, French, German and sometimes some variety of Chinese/Japanese
for on-train signage. The 175 is English and Welsh, while most other
new stock appears English only.

I think I've seen 158s with signs in EN, FR, DE and whatever it is.

On the Continent it tends IMX to be French, German, the local language
if different and one other (often but not always English - in
ex-Eastern stock it's not unknown for it to be Polish or Russian).

I was surprised to find a train in Croatia with signs in Swedish (and
English). Turns out HZ bought them second-hand from Sweden.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK