Old November 2nd 04, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neill Wood Neill Wood is offline

Default Trivia: Hook Underpass (Ace of Spades)

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message news:740bac0afbbf5e6378070ad2d5f2d60a.125090@myga te.mailgate.org...
"Neill Wood" wrote in message
om

I don't often travel Londonbound on the A3, but I think the doors in
the side of the Hook Underpass are still visible.

So did I but there aren't any (I've just been to have a look) so the
generators must have been at ground level which makes sense. The Cap in
Hand (Wetherspoon) is one of the best *proper* locals in London, so I
popped in there, Harry Hawker lived at corner of Hook Rd / Orchard Rd,
so it is not surprising there was aviation interest. He is buried in the
churchyard near his house (marked with a cross on the overlaid map).

http://tinyurl.com/6fmq5

King Edward Rec is very large and quite capable I would suppose of
accomodating bi-planes. I wonder if anyone's figured out how the people
of Ace got home if they went to Mitcham on the 152?

Another thing I recall is that there was a gap in the barriers between
the main carriageway and the sliproad when travelling northbound just
before you entered the underpass. I never worked out why it existed as
both roads come from the same point. I used to see people using it to
cross between the A3 and the sliproad as late as the 1980's. Quite
scarey when the car in front suddenly slows down to leave the
carriageway. It eventually got filled in with ordinary cones, then
fixed poles and finally by a new section of barrier a few years back.

Neill