Old November 2nd 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TheOneKEA TheOneKEA is offline

Default London v Paris

"patrick" root@localhost wrote in message ...

For instance, the Paris local maps show exactly where the Metro exits are,
and what you face when you get out. In London, someone decided it would be
better to just show a big round Tube sign, and once you get out you are
totally lost as to which street is which one.

This is not always the case; some of the stations have Way Out signs
with street names listed, but it's few and far between. I suppose the
tourist punter is supposed to have a look at the Street Map posted
outside the barriers.

Most of the trains don't have their directions written anywhere else than in
the front. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when on a platform, what you see of
the train is not the front, but the side. In Paris, directions are on the
sides, and inside. Simple and logical.

Now this is something that needs addressing! The D78 refurbishment
folks have figured it out, and have mounted the scrolling info screens
seen on the 1973TS, 1995TS and 1996TS on the other axis, so that
people standing in the carriage simply have to look up instead of
peering sideways.

I guess they didn't want to cut holes in the sides of the trains for
displays though, so I suppose that side destination listings will have
to wait for the new rolling stock.

Colour coding vs. numbers: colours are ok for locals (I tend to prefer
nicknaming the lines myself), but please note that tourists don't remember
the colours anyway.

Colours are useful. "Take the Green Line to this station, then get off
and follow the signs to the Blue Line..."

International signs: the RATP made a real effort in adding ES, IT, DE and EN
signs here and there. Apart from station names in Hindi in Southall and
Ealing, LU doesn't seem to care and assumes everybody speaks English. Which
is true, but it says a lot about the London state of mind vs. the Paris
state of mind.

Wouldn't mind seeing this either, especially at Kings Cross St.
Pancras.

Just my 2 pences.

Brad