Old November 3rd 04, 12:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default London v Paris

Morton wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
k...
Morton wrote:

1. The Metro trains are better than London Underground. All I saw
were wider (holding more people) and much cleaner.

There are no small-sized tube trains in Paris, but I would guess
that the trains are no wider than, say, D-stock.

They were Metropolitan-style.

I've found some dimensions to compare. These are overall train widths
in metres, London figures from Tubeprune's site, Paris from Alstom's
site:

London sub-surface: A (Met) 2.95; C (Circle etc.) 2.92; D (District)
2.85.

London tube: 67/72 (Vic, Bakerloo) 2.64; 73/95/96 (Picc, Northern,
Jubilee) 2.63 (Alstom's site says 2.6); 92 (Central, W&C) 2.62.

Paris: MP89 (Lines 1, 14) 2.45.

MP89 look at least as wide as the earlier Paris types. So, rather
surprisingly, Métro stock is actually narrower than all London stock
including the small tube trains.
--
Richard J.