Old November 3rd 04, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Henry Henry is offline

Default What is the oldest object or construction in the world...

"Peter Heather" wrote

Also, there are two very obvious remanants of the Croydon Canal in the
form of the original reservoir (now South Norwood Lake) and the length
of canal now preserved in a park just off Anerley Hill (I think that's
its name)

There is a bridge parapet in Croydon which I recollect is reckoned to date
back to the canal. It is over the W. Croydon rail line and is in either
Sydenham Road or Gloucester Road, I can't remember which.

There is a notch on the south side of Greenland Dock which seems to line
up with the point where the canal came in. You can see it on the Multimap
aerial photo.

I believe also that the loop of road from Regina Road to Albert Road in S.
Norwood follows the line of a meander which formed after the canal was
closed. Not sure in what manner the closed canal was flowing to form a
meander though!

I am going from memory of having read a book on the subject, but that was
quite a while ago.