Old November 3rd 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Official defacement?

In article , Mrs Redboots
writes
Er - hello? The OP was entirely correct in his usage of the
apostrophe there - if you have a name ending with "S", and wish to
denote something belonging to the bearer of that name, the
apostrophe goes after it. James' shoes, Thomas' gloves.....

Er, no. James's, Thomas's. Go and read Eats, Shoots & Leaves again.

Agreed - it's Giles's.

That usage is accepted nowadays, but it is not what I was taught 45
years ago! Lynne Truss is, I think, younger than I am.

But I think Beowulf and Edward III are older. The derivation from Middle
English is clear.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: