Old November 4th 04, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Cooper Nick Cooper is offline

Default Bakerloo Line Extension

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:09:29 +0000, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In article , Nick Cooper
writes
1) FP-AP/HB "only" needed electrification, as the track and stations
were all there (not too up on signalling, but IIRC some work was done
in this area) and, indeed, in use.

Highgate High Level was completely rebuilt, from outside platforms to a
central island.

True, but the other five stations didn't need rebuilding.

And you still have the problem of how to reverse trains at Finsbury
Park. Doing it in the existing platforms just wouldn't work - there was
far too much surface traffic to handle (say) 6 to 10 tph reversing. So
you need the new flyover and the new platforms. Once that's done,
upgrading the slope to Drayton Park is a no-brainer.

Which, that being the case, affects the feasibility of bypassing the
surface route in favour of the line going into tube before FP and
linking with the NCL from the outset.

3) The physical linkage of the AP branch and the NCL, with a
relatively short length of tunnel, where ever it's placed.

Why? Drayton Park is on the surface.

Okay, I always forget about Drayton Park being in a cutting (no matter
how many times I go through it!), but again that presupposes taking
the surface route through FP.

although the advent of the Victoria line - if at all - would have
raised questions in the case of a tube-level linkage, rather than a
surface one.

Now there's a question: what would the Victoria Line have done if the
Northern Line had been extended? Actually, the answer is simple: do what
was actually done with the tube platforms, including abandoning the
MOG-FP shuttles. Cockfosters to Moorgate passengers have a choice of two
cross-platform changes or one staircased one.

In terms on in-car
diagrams I would imagine one similar to the "with NCL" one of the
early-1970s, showing both distinct sections under a common management.

That sounds quite a good approach, actually.

I may dummy one up when I have the time. But then, I say that about a
lot of things....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk