Old November 4th 04, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Church Matthew Church is offline

Default London and Greenwich Railway

First of all thanks to everyone who expanded the SIR thread, I haven't
replied to everyone but I have taken on board what was said and will
be visiting everywhere I can. Particularly looking forward to spotting
the stone sleepers in Young & Co's very high brewery wall, followed by
a pint or two in the magnificent Victorian glass-palace "Spread Eagle"
just across the road from the "Brewery Tap".

Something else that has bothered me recently. London's first (proper)
railway The London and Greenwich was built *entirely* on a viaduct to
prevent collisions with cattle!? I read somewhere that they had a lot
of trouble with wheels cracking and came up with a radical solution
but can't remember what it was. Amongst the arches around Bermondsey
there must be viaducts from the old railway, anyone from The Old Kent
Road know which is which?