Old November 5th 04, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
CharlesPottins CharlesPottins is offline

Default When you (or your Oyster card ) lose your magnetism

Just thought I'd let evertone know that I got a prompt reply from the lga
confirming that there was no need to get new photographs when replacing a
faulty card, and that a memo would be sent to my local Post Office making this
clear.
I allowed a couple of days, then presented my application form again together
with my old card, and duly recieved a new card without any problem.
Regarding comments on PO staff, I wouldn't like to generalise, and I think the
counter staff have a wide range of services, regulations and details to know
about, so I would not knock them compared to some other people in clerical and
retail situations.
But I get the impression some experienced and more knowledgable staff are being
replaced by novices, even casuals. A friend of mine who worked for many years
at a north London PO and was very conscientious, got told off for helping a
customer with a post code ("That's not our business, it's Royal Mail, we are
Post Office Counters Ltd.) Later a new abrasive manager told him "Your trouble
is you've been here too long", and she found a way of getting rid of him.
Mind you, he had also been the union rep.
My busy local high street PO has friendly and helpful staff from what I've
seen (mind you I've only been in the area a short time), but
it is being sold off to a property company which says it will keep a PO counter
in a conveniance store, and replace existing staff with newcomers. I get the
impression some of the PO staff are already hitting the road or at any rate
being replaced by raw new recruits, unfamiliar with the system.