Old November 8th 04, 04:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.surrey
Dave \(Sgt. Pepper\) Dave \(Sgt. Pepper\) is offline

Default Pictures of the old station at Epsom

"N Cook" wrote in message

Anything about the branch-line ? that served the ring of mental hospitals
West Park,Longrove,St Ebba's etc.
Still there 10 years ago the only remainder I'm aware of, at the end of

Hook
Rd near
the Danetree Rd end farthest from Epsom in the fields unless now built on

is
a pair of bridge parrapets for this long filled in railway cutting.

Some W. Eweell , Danetree Rd School recollections
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/danetree.htm

I remember being told some years back by an elderly local, that the branch
line you refer to was used to transport ammunition to various gun
emplacements around the hospital cluster during WW2. I always get a bit
maudlin when I think of such wonderful old lines being destroyed. It would
have been so wonderful to have a preserved railway to run steam trains on
nowadays.
--
Dave (Sgt. Pepper) Epsom, England
Nikon D2H / D100 / Coolpix 5700 / Canon Ixus 400 / Paintshop Pro 8