Old November 8th 04, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
umpston umpston is offline

Default Bus Lane Signs - Impossible to read - What's the solution

"Marc Brett" wrote in message
On 8 Nov 2004 08:49:56 -0800, (Buttoneer) wrote:

I'm getting really quite fed up with the different crazy bus lane
rules all over even small parts of London.

What's the problem with making them all 24/7? Seriously. When traffic is
heavy, the buses get a lane to themselves, as it should be. When traffic

is
light, there's no need for cars to use the extra lane anyway. And, of

course,
it ends the confusion of when it is or is not a bus lane.

This would not work anywhere you have a business - you can ban loading for
part of the day but not all of it. Otherwise you'll drive them out of
business. And you can't allow loading all the time - otherwise there is no
point having a bus lane in the first place. Different rules are needed to
suit each location bit I agree clearer signagge is often needed. I don't
think coloured surfacing would be a good method of indicating times - there
are too many variations. Clear bus-lane signs at the start of the lane, and
repeated at intervals is the answer - but so many lanes just have a sign at
the beginning of the lane and not enough repeaters.

Incidentally, if there are no days or hours shown at the start of a bus lane
this means it is 'at any time'. However, I think putting 'at any time' on
the sign is clearer!

The same is NOT true for permit-parking signs. The hours of operation may
be (and all too often are) omitted from the plates in CPZ parking bays and
only have to be shown on the boundary signs at the entry points to the CPZ.
I think the operational hours should be shown on all plates in all parking
bays - as they are on all the schemes I have designed.