Old November 9th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] romic@cix.compulink.co.uk is offline

Default Northern Line Indicator Boards

In article ,
(Zac) wrote:

Several times in the last week (about 0810), the indicator boards at
Totteridge and Whetstone have shown :

1) Morden via Bank
2) Kennington via Charing Cross
3) Morden via Bank

The CX train then changes to "not in service", when this train arrives
it
has "not in service" displayed on the front, but already has passengers
on
boards, and lets on at T&W. It then changes to a labelled CX train at
West
Finchley, and carries through to Kennington.

Has happened 3 times in the last 10 days or so at about the same time.
Any
ideas why ?

Could it be to try to stop people boarding at T&W and WP, and let WF's
passengers get a seat ?

If the train's got "Not In Service" on the front of the train, then
that's something that the driver sets up via a switch in the cab. It may
be that that end of the train had been out of service on a previous trip
and hadn't been put back. When Out of Service is selected, this
information is then sent to the Northern Line computer, with the train's
set up destination and Not In Service should then be displayed on the
platform dot matrix.

The PTI system has been up the wall over the weekend (I was off yesterday
and today, so I don't know if the problem has been sorted out). I was a
Morden v CX train that was being described as High Barnet at all the SB
stations and on a previous trip I was described as Morden instead of
Mill Hill on all the NB describers. Even if the driver sets up the wrong
code (i.e. a NB destination on a SB trip), this should be picked up by the
computer as an invalid code and the "Check destination on front of train"
message should be displayed.

There is also faulty PTI equipment on a lot of the trains and has
been for over a year which means the information is not transmitted and
this can also give rise to wrong descriptions including "missing" the
train where the train arrives even though the next train is still shown as
X mins away.

Roger
(my reader sometimes loses mail/newsgroup messages
- if you think you should have had a reply/comment,
please e-mail me again. Ta!)