Old November 10th 04, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
James Looker James Looker is offline

Default Epping-Ongar Railway: Worth a look

TheOneKEA wrote:
James Looker wrote in message ...

David Splett wrote:

The signal approaching Ongar was a fixed yellow, designed to act as a
repeater for the red lamps at the end of the line. This arrangements was/is
not unique on LU - I think there is a fixed yellow approaching Chesham, and
also most tunnel sidings have sequences of them. Most are un-numbered,
however the one at Ongar was unique in that it's ident was "ONGAR".

I would guess it was installed as part of the post-Moorgate enhancements.
Most termini would have the last signal held at red until the train was
proved to have slowed, but presumably other arrangements were necessary at
Ongar because there weren't any approach signals. Obviously the yellow
isn't going to stop a fast-approaching train, but it would provide
protection at night if a driver couldn't see the landmarks where he had to
start braking for the terminus.

This signal had a trip thing that went down a certain time after the
train has passed the signal - it was away from the signal. If the train
was approaching too quickly the trip thing would of still been up and
set of the brakes.

Sounds like an approach-controlled trainstop, to prove the train is at
the proper low speed before allowing it access to the platform.

Agreed, or a trip thing as I like to call it.