Old November 10th 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Malcolm & Nika Malcolm & Nika is offline

Default Principles of LU gate operation

The gates are monitored from the booking office. This is normal practice on
smaller stations.
The manual gate should be kept locked. It will be appearing on a report to
local managers. Time left open is reported in milliseconds (!), and its a
performance target to get this within limits. Its upto local managers to
enforce this but somewhere someone is getting a headache from higher up to
fix it.
Also NCC can see what is happening regarding the gates and they also will
contact stations to point out any irregularities.
Someone somewhere knows.......

"Chris Read" wrote in message

My nearest LU station is Upney on the District.

Sometimes the gates are left open.

Sometimes the gates are operational.

The gateline is never directly supervised, though there is always someone
in
the ticket office, from where there is a good view of the gateline - and
of
course the whole place is covered by CCTV.

Here is my point. The *side* gate for those with luggage/the
disabled/cyclists is *always* left unlocked, whatever the time of day or
day
of the week. As a result, everyone has got to know of this, and uses this
gate to save retrieving their ticket from their pocket/handbag. No doubt
those who wish to travel fraudulently know about this too.

I had always assumed that if the automatic gates were in operation, the
side
gate should default to the locked position to 'complete the set' - and
vice
versa. If it is the policy of LU to leave the side gates unlocked around
the
clock, what on earth was the business case for investing in gates at
outlying stations? If, however, there are rogue staff members who leave
the
side gate open for the sake of an easy life (and I do sympathise with
them,
given the levels of aggression in society today), why haven't LU
discovered
this yet?

Chris