Old November 10th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Bradley David Bradley is offline

Default Electronic bus destination blinds

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:50:14 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Mrs Redboots wrote:
The other day, I was in a car being driven northbound past Euston
station, and happened to catch sight of a bus whose destination
blind read "Short journey; ask driver!"

We pondered this for awhile and assumed it would mean that the bus
in question was stopping somewhere its destination blind didn't
say, which is fair enough. But this sparked a discussion as to why
modern buses don't have electronic destination blinds. I know the
system was tried - I used to see the odd 35 with them - but
presumably it was too prone to failure? On the other hand, if they
can have electronic destination blinds on trains (which they not
only can, but do), why don't they have them on buses?

I have yet to see an electronic destination indicator on the front of a
bus or train with the same legibility as London bus blinds (Johnston Bus
or Underground typeface, yellow on black).

Go to the bottom of page:
http://www.trolleybus.net/tramlink.htm
and have fun "turning" the blind.

A further example is on the bottom of page:
http://www.trolleybus.net/654.htm

In both cases wait until the whole page has been loaded.

David Bradley