Old November 10th 04, 05:31 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roger H. Bennett Roger H. Bennett is offline

Default Dangers of High Speed Trains Pushed from the Rear

"David Hansen" wrote in message
news
Even if it was under full power the extra force that provided was
not enough to cause the damage. If it was then HSTs would be damaged
every time only the rear power car is working, which happens from
time to time. The forces the power cars produce are minor compared
to the forces involved in a crash.

Quite. The maximum tractive effort is about 8 tons, which I guess (I don't
have a power curve) would be only about a quarter of that at 100 mph.
Compared to the momentum of its 70-ton weight at 100 mph, plus that of the
other carriages at the rear, the effect of any power it could produce is
negligible.

Roger