Old November 10th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Electronic bus destination blinds

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:14:40 +0000, Mrs Redboots
wrote:
We pondered this for awhile and assumed it would mean that the bus in
question was stopping somewhere its destination blind didn't say, which
is fair enough. But this sparked a discussion as to why modern buses
don't have electronic destination blinds. I know the system was tried -
I used to see the odd 35 with them - but presumably it was too prone to
failure? [...]

I believe that TfL still specify the old-style displays. I think that
they are still more readable, anyway, until a higher resolution can be
achieved on the electronic ones. Elsewhere in the country where
there's no one to care about such things apart from the operators
themselves, standards are really variable with many unreadable dot
matrix displays. New LED displays are very readable and presumably
very reliable. Perhaps we'll see a change in policy, at least for
side and rear displays.

Unless I've just made it up, the buses on the 35 were used as spares
to replace any broken night buses, so had to have more destinations
than would fit on a blind. I can't find any evidence for that at the
moment...

Richard.