Old November 11th 04, 12:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] romic@cix.compulink.co.uk is offline

Default Principles of LU gate operation

In article ,
(Chris Read) wrote:

"Tony Wilson" wrote:

I just cannot understand why along this whole stretch of District
line you
have lone people sitting there bored out of their minds afraid to

challenge
anyone when they could travel as a group of 6 or 8 people and properly

check
just one of these stations at a time at random.

I believe all LU stations have to be manned during the hours of service
operation, so the solitary staff members cannot be removed, even if they
(and by proxy the union) agreed to undertake a different sort of work -
which is unlikely. A shame, because your suggestion is a good one.

PS Does this remind anyone of bendy buses?

Ah yes, the 'free' buses which are responsible for our bus fares and
council
tax going up!

Chris

Some stations can be left unmanned (unless they've changed this, but I
don't think so. The Barnet branch of the Northern Line is an example.
Gives a lot of problems if the CCTV to the train is defective as the
driver has to await the arrival of a member of staff from another station.
Totteridge is one station that springs to mind. I assume it's the same at
West Finchley and Mill Hill East.

Roger