Old November 11th 04, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Liney Dave Liney is offline

Default Electronic bus destination blinds

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in message
In the message ...

Indeed, I recently travelled on (London) route 390 in a bus with such a
screen in the centre of the upper-deck windscreen, and was similarly
disappointed to see that none of the above-mentioned information (apart
from
generic TfL messages and advertising) was displayed. But AFAIK this is par
for the course in today's narrowly commercially-oriented world; even the
idea that the advertising would be more effective if it alternated with
information of real value to passengers (the more specific the better, eg
real-time details of alterations to the services...) has obviously not
crossed the minds of those concerned.

To do so would require a realtime link to pick up this information whereas
the present system can be updated at depots. I'm sure your idea has crossed
the minds of those concerned but perhaps their investigations showed that
the present control-to-bus link was not up to the job and upgrading it just
for this not cost effective.

Dave