Old November 12th 04, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
UM Pston UM Pston is offline

Default Bus Lane Signs - Impossible to read - What's the solution

Jim Crowther wrote in message ...
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:47:17, Marc Brett wrote:

On 8 Nov 2004 08:49:56 -0800, (Buttoneer) wrote:

I'm getting really quite fed up with the different crazy bus lane
rules all over even small parts of London.

What's the problem with making them all 24/7? Seriously. When traffic is
heavy, the buses get a lane to themselves, as it should be. When traffic is
light, there's no need for cars to use the extra lane anyway. And, of course,
it ends the confusion of when it is or is not a bus lane.

I'd go with that - as long as motor-cycles can use bus lanes at all
times...

(A motor-bike has *never* been known to hold up a bus, at least that's
what Google leads me to believe.)

Motor-bikes using bus-lanes are more likely to be involved in
accidents because they go faster than the traffic in the outside lane
and may not be obvious to other drivers and pedestrians until it is
too late (not always the rider's fault - but the risk is there just
the same). The buses also go faster but are much bigger and easier to
see.

And would you agree with 24hr bus lanes if you owned a small business
along a bus route? Part-time bus lanes may not be ideal, but are a
necessary compromise, unless you only want to shop at supermarkets.