Old November 12th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tony Wilson Tony Wilson is offline

Default Principles of LU gate operation

"Malcolm & Nika" wrote in message
Hello Tony...I can see this winds you up a bit.....and fair enough.
I can only help with a couple of things.
Its been mentioned before, tickets can be checked for traveling accross

zone
1 with only Z2 validity. Its the coloured triangles on the bottom. Turn up
in Z2 in the east with a west coloured triangle and its easy to spot.

Hence
the inspection before you leave the barrier.

Fair enough - that's news to me (though can still see holes in that as a way
of checking this, e.g NR travelcard)

Remember the man/woman in the box is not a ticket inspector. They are
"Customer Service Assistants". They are there to provide assistance at the
gates as someone has to be within 5 seconds of an emergency release incase
anyone gets stuck. They have other things to do also, but inspecting

tickets
is well down the list. Lots of them do this though and they can resrtict
access through the gates by rejecting certain codes such as child tickets

confirm age of person.
But this puts them in places of risk and I'm sure there are some unsavoury
characters around and if it was you would you want to put yourself into
conflict with these people. Alone. Late at night.

I honestly don't expect them to, as I wouldn't challenge them myself alone-
but I would expect them to report that it happens and for them to be backed
up by regular Revenue and BTP support. As a minimum, can't they record it on
CCTV and then put photos in the local paper with a cash reward for
identification, which pretty much gives the police the fare dodger on a
plate with no risk to LU staff? High quality cameras and adverts for this
would pay for themselves many times over I'd have thought. Not applicable to
central London obviously but a fare dodger at a station like Becontree has
to be local.

Thanks,
Tony