Old November 12th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe
Roger H. Bennett Roger H. Bennett is offline

Default Dangers of High Speed Trains Pushed from the Rear

"Ian Johnston" wrote in message
3000hp at 100mph is pretty close to 5 tons of thrust. As David says,
compared to the crash forces on half a train (4 * 35 ton coaches + 1 *
70 ton locomotive = 210 tons), that's trivial.

Actually it's even more trivial than that, because the power car's engine
only produces 2250hp, of which (according to a general rule of thumb for
diesel locos) only about 80% would be available for traction even if not
providing ETS. So we are probably looking at 1600-1800hp available for
traction, depending on the ETS load, reducing the calculated thrust to
around 3 tons.

That's still higher than my guess yesterday (2 tons), but that was just a
guess which I thought afterwards might have been a bit on the low side.

Roger