Old November 14th 04, 09:25 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Microchipped number plates

Matthew Maddock wrote:

Anything that helps stop scum get away with no insurance/tax/mot
has to be good. If it inconveniences legal motorists (although
highly unlikely) then so what.

How about a more radical approach - nationalise third party insurance and
increase road tax so the charge for it is included in that. The Government
would then pay out for third-party injuries and property damage from that
fund. Thus, any taxed car would be insured third party for any driver,
making it easy to check and difficult to evade. If it's taxed, and the
driver has a valid license, it's insured. As the tax database fits with
the V5 database, it's not difficult to enforce tax checks.

The insurance companies could then compete on a commercial basis on policies
that extend that to cover F&T and Fully Comp as desired, as most people
with any sense would take if they have a vehicle that is worth anything.

I'm sure I've heard of a country somewhere (can't think where) that actually
does something like this.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK