Old November 15th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport
Martin Whelton Martin Whelton is offline

Default Eurostar to quit Waterloo

A great shame trains are not going to run into Waterloo. For an extra
journey time of 20 mins the benefits are more then made up when you
consider the extra amount of time it will take to get to St Pancras.
When completed St Pancras will be a superb building, but to withdraw
service from Waterloo could potentially lead to lost revenue as people
from South West London decide on Heathrow as an easier option.

In terms of Waterloo International, I am sure all the vacated space
from Eurostar will be filled up by retail developments.

In terms of trains, it would be ideal terminus if a link was ever
built into Heathrow Airport, much more convenient then Padddington and
in the middle of London to boot. With the numbers using a Heathrow it
is an option that should not be dismissed,indeed it could run via the
West London line and on to Paddington that way

In terms of North Pole how about use as the Crossrail depot, may save
the cost of building a depot at Romford and reduce costs on the
scheme.

Martin

Mrs Redboots wrote in message ...
Alex Terrell wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 15 Nov 2004:

The Daily Telegraph reports that Eurostar will quit Waterloo in 2007.

I think this is a good idea. Even from Waterloo, it would be quicket
to take the tube to St Pancras and then take a fast Eurostar.

I wish I could agree with you. From where I live, in South London, it
was easy to get a bus to Waterloo - much easier, with luggage, than
faffing about on the Tube. Okay, Northern Line to Waterloo and Vicky
line to KingsX/St P are probably about the same in terms of time, but,
dammit, trains from Waterloo go on lines I use and know.... the trains
even go through Brixton Station! It won't be at all the same when they
have their dedicated track.