Old November 17th 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Suing for frivolous parking ticket

"Carlos" wrote in message
I parked in a pay-and-display area at 17:05. Put £1 in the machine (charge
is £1/hr) and the ticket came out valid until 17:30 after which time
parking is free. The signage also confirmed that parking is chargeable only
between 09:00 - 17:30.

Came back to find a parking ticket, time-stamped at 17:36.

Clearly the parking attendant was trying it on, aware that a certain
percentage probably just pay up. But I want to make a stand and sue the
council for wasting my time. Would I be reasonable in charging a £50 admin
charge for having to issue an explanatory note..?

Probably it's a waste of time suing them. But you could publicise it in the
papers, perferably quoting the name of the traffic warden who issued the
ticket if you've got it. The traffic warden was clearly taking the ****. He
was wrong to issue a ticket for two reasons: firstly you were (presumably)
displaying a valid ticket that covered the time when you were parked and
when charges applied (17:05-17:30); secondly parking was free after 17:30.
His managers should be made aware of this fact so it can be entered on his
disciplinary record.