Old August 4th 03, 11:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default Pavement cycling

CJG wrote the following in:

In message , Robin May
writes
Which is pretty much the same as my view on cycling on pavements:
as long as I'm not inconveniencing pedestrians, I don't see why
it's a problem.

Because its um dangerous.

Umm, actually, sometimes it's not.

Not everyone expects to see a cyclist
going along the pavement so tend not to look out for them. You may
not be inconveniencing them but your putting them at risk.

You can't put people at risk when there are none nearby. And seeing as
where I cycle on the pavement the visibility is good enough that I can
see any pedestrians stepping out well in advance of actually meeting
them, this claim that it's dangerous is just daft.

You seem to have this belief that cycling on the pavement is always
dangerous with no exceptions, no matter what the pavement in question
is like or how the cyclist cycles. I'm sorry, but it's just not true.

--
message by Robin May, founder of International Boyism
"Would Inspector Sands please go to the Operations Room immediately."

Unofficially immune to hangovers.