Old November 17th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default Eurostar to quit Waterloo

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Theo Markettos wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 17 Nov 2004:

What were platforms 20-24 used for before construction of the Eurostar
terminal? They looked forlorn and neglected the only time I remember

seeing
them in the late eighties. Was there a canopy that was demolished to

make
way for Eurostar?

Surely they were being built in the late 80s? Actually, I think they
were built earlier - early 80s - but the construction of the Channel
Tunnel was delayed so that they did sit mothballed for awhile.

The Eurostar platforms were built on the site of *old* platforms 16-21,
which were the former Windsor line platforms, and were under the original
roof of the 1885 North station. The rest of the station, and the concourse,
were rebuilt between about 1908 and 1922. To make up for the platforms which
were removed to make way for the Eurostar terminal, additional platforms
were provided on the former cab road.

Peter