Old November 17th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
David Bradley David Bradley is offline

Default Suing for frivolous parking ticket

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:03:38 -0000, "Carlos"
wrote:

David Bradley" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:04:02 -0000, Conor
wrote:

In article , Nigel says...

Yes do take any legal action if you feel wronged by the Council, do it
through a legal representative who will ensure that you're
out-of-pocket-expenses are recovered and that any action you are
threatened with by the local authority is rescinded.

After all why should you pay for their inadequacies?

You're a lawyer aren't you? THe only person who will benefit will be
his lawyer and you can be sure the bill he'll be presented with will
far exceed the worth of a few phone calls, first class stamps and time
taken to write to them.

Oh, and the County Court will throw out frivolous claims but you can be
sure his lawyer won't forget the bill.

After reading this long thread, a simple question comes to mind:
Assuming the facts are as stated, what is the cheapest option that can
be taken to ensure the parking ticket is rescinded?

Would it be the cost of a postcard, with a postage stamp attached,
sent to the Council with a simple message stating they have made an
error? Perhaps not, because it would probably get "lost in the post",
so what can you do that would cost you no more than a £1?

David Bradley

I will send a copy of the Pay&Display ticket + my original parking ticket
tear-off + a digi-photo of the sign showing the controlled times, that way I
have all my bases covered.

The nearest PO to my work is the perpetually busy Maidenhead town centre,
which for me involves missing lunch so I can drive 3 miles there, queue for
a place in the multi-story car park and then queue for another 20 mins at
the post office to send it recorded. Its an hour of my work day that I am
wasting which at contractor rates works out at about £60. Of course I could
send it ordinary post, but the council recommends you send it recorded.

This thread is actually getting bigger than the issue itself :-), I was just
hoping for a few choice phrases to use in my letter. In reality all I want
is for them to say "sorry, our mistake", "the attendent has been
re-trained" or something like that.

The Council may recommend Recorded Delivery but the cost to you is
excessive. So my I suggest you send the documentation by email to the
Council requesting an acknowledgement of receipt by return. If you
don't get a response within a couple of days then escalate the issue
by re-sending the email to every Councillor.

David Bradley