Old November 18th 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Rich Mallard Rich Mallard is offline

Default Ebbsfleet vs Northfleet

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
http://www.ctrl.co.uk/photos/gallery...asp?L=30&SL=43

Examination of the second plan on that page (very large file which seems
to have the wrong headers so may need downloading/renaming as a JPEG)
shows Northfleet as a tiny structure, dwarfed in comparison to the vast
Dartford International site with its 6 car parks.

However, Northfleet is reasonably close to Ebbsfleet (or at least Car Park
A) and I wonder why no pedestrian link is being put in. People from
Dartford might actually want to reach their International station without
getting in the car. Plus, since this massive development is on
Northfleet's doorstep, I would hope that some reasonable pedestrian access
will be built. After all, this is the centre of the new Kent Thameside
development with an extra 3000 homes and 790,000mē of commercial space
apparently...

It does seem like a wasted opportunity having Northfleet just a little too
far away for an easy interchange, and having the link to the North Kent line
towards the east to reach Gravesend. Indeed, what are you supposed to do if
you live near the existing Dartford station? Get a train to Gravesend, then
change for a train to Dartford Int'l? No-one will do that, they'll just get
a taxi. Same for people in neighbouring Bexley borough to the west - easy
reach of Dartford and North Kent line from existing stations, but looks like
there'll be no easy reach of Dartford Int'l = everyone in Bexley and west
Dartford will be taking car/taxi/bus when they *should* be able to go by
rail!

Early on, I was hoping they'd extend the Dartford line services from London
to Dartford Int'l by default, but that now looks unlikely, particularly
given the suggested link to the North Kent line which permits access from
the east only. Shame the new station isn't being built slightly further
north to incorporate Northfleet within its boundary (no, that would be just
too convenient...)